At the end of every year, it had been customary on this blog that I publish the top songs that I listened to during the travel. That is, until last year, when the word “travel” was completely obliterated from my calendar, and to a certain extent, my overall mindset. Overcome by a nagging fear of the pandemic, I holed up in my apartment and waited for the crisis to pass.
Before I knew it, two years have passed. And while I was able to go on a weekend getaway one time and day trips a couple of times, I wasn’t able to travel the way I used to. And that leads us to this supposedly annual tradition.
But because there wasn’t much travelin’ that happened over the past year, for this edition, I’ll just count down the 21 most played songs, period. Regardless of whether or not (NOT!) I was traveling when I listened to them.
Before we begin, I’d like to share last year’s list too, which I failed to publish because of indecisiveness (I wasn’t sure I wanted to post this because I didn’t get to travel), with a sprinkle of good old-fashioned laziness.
MY TOP 20 MOST PLAYED SONGS IN 2020
- Robyn – Call Your Girlfriend
- Lauv – Feelings
- UDD – Unti-unti
- Post Malone – Circles
- Mariah Carey – Fourth of July
- Lauv & LANY – Mean It
- Lady Gaga & Ariana Grande – Rain on Me
- Harry Styles – Adore You
- Cheat Codes & Little Mix – Only You
- Gryffin & SLANDER – All You Need to Know
- Mariah Carey – For the Record
- Benjamin Ingrosso – Love You Again
- Janelle Monáe – Make Me Feel
- Conor Matthews – Too Late
- Bazzi – Beautiful (feat. Camila Cabello)
- Diplo – Lonely (with Jonas Brothers)
- Debbie Gibson – Lost in Your Eyes
- Take That – Back for Good
- Sheryl Crow – I Shall Believe
- Alanis Morissette – Thank U
Now that we got that out of the way, here are the 21 tracks on my playlist that constantly filled the little air of my little apartment! You’ll notice that many of these tracks were injected back into my consciousness because of the things I watch on TV — mostly Rupaul’s Drag Race lip syncs, Eurovision, Schitt’s Creek, and a ton of Little Mix videos!
21. Dua Lipa – Physical
20. Daði Freyr (Daði & Gagnamagnið) – 10 Years
19. Måneskin – Beggin’
18. Ariana Grande – NASA
17. Christina Aguilera – Pa Mis Muchachas (feat. Becky G, Nicki Nicole & Nathy Peluso)
16. Adele – Easy on Me
15. Tom Grennan – Little Bit of Love
14. Jonas Brothers & Marshmello – Leave Before You Love Me
13. Lady Gaga – Always Remember Us This Way
12. BTS – Dynamite
11. Little Mix – Holiday
10. Troye Sivan – Angel Baby
9. Amy Shark – Adore
8. Ed Sheeran – Shivers
7. Dua Lipa – Don’t Start Now
6. Olivia Rodrigo – drivers license
5. Snakehips – All My Friends (ft. Tinashe & Chance the Rapper)
4. Mariah Carey – Always Be My Baby
2021 is when I started watching Schitt’s Creek and it reminded me of how much I love this song.
3. Taylor Swift – All Too Well
2. Little Mix – Sweet Melody
1. Tina Turner / Noah Reid – (Simply) The Best
Because of Schitt’s Creek, too! LOL! Just love, love, love that show!